We offer a regular programme of carriage rides for the public at Hylands Park in Chelmsford. Usually starting at the Castle Adventure Playground at the Writtle Car Park, we will transport you on a 10-15 minute ride into the park to experience the joy of travelling by horse and cart. Rides cost just £4 per person and there is always plenty of time to meet the horses and ask lots of questions. Mauro's cafe is nearby, as well as the Stables Visitor Center with it's range of resident artists, plus the advernture playground and 574 acres of park to explore, so there is plenty for all the family to enjoy when you come to visit.
Below is a calendar of dates and times when we are running rides which is regularly updated, please select each marked date for exact details. We don't operate a booking system, just come along between the given times. We operate in most weathers, but please do check our facebook page or twitter before travelling long distances as any last minute changes will be posted on there.
COVID-19 Update - 24th July 2020
We are now open again for carriage rides following the COVID Locdown and dates are published below. We have made the following changes to ensure that everyone can remain as safe as possible:
1. We will be operating in a brand new carriage that is smaller, specifically to accomodate families and family bubbles. We will only be accepting family groups and bubbles of up to 8 people as it is not possible for passengers to socially distance. The elevated position of the Driver and Groom allow us to remain 1m from passengers and in addition we will wear masks. We will not allow mixed groups of customers, only family groups and bubbles.
2. We will only be accepting card payments and only 1 transaction will be taken per carraige (ie everyone must pay at once).
3. Payment is £4/head, but there is a minimum charge of £12 per carriage, so there is a small surcharge for couples.
4. Hand sanitiser will be provided and you must sanitise your hands before boarding.
5. Unfortunately at this time we can not allow stroking or touching of the horses - we don't think the horses will appreciate having to have their noses sanitised in between strokes! :)
6. Please distance yourselves in family groups when queuing.
We thank you in advance for your co-operation. Whilst we appreciate these changes will make it a different experience, we feel the new smaller carriage with only family groups will make for a very special ride! Do please contact us directly if you have any quesitons.