Carriage Driving Experience Day Wednesday 17th July 2019
Time & Location
About the Event
Come and experience the wonders of working and driving a heavy horse at Hylands Park in Essex. With a maximum of 4 participants you will have all the opportunity you could want to get hands-on with our gentle giants.
Format of the day:
There will be some indoor instruction, followed by practical work with horses under cover, followed by working the horses outdoors. During the day you will experience:
- Grooming and preparing heavy horses for work
- Different types of harness and harness care
- Harnessing a horse and how to check fit
- Introduction to rein aids.
- Preparation for and ‘hitching in’ a single horse
- Basic driving technique with everyone getting a chance to have a go
- Unhitching and horse care after work
Claudia Waller is a Partner of Hawthorn Heavy Horses, a small business based at Hylands that specialises in the use of working horses for forestry and conservation work. Claudia has a BSc in Equine Studies and 16 years experience of working Heavy Horses
Tea and Coffee will be provided throughout the day. Please bring your own packed lunch or food can be bought at the Stables Café during 45 minute lunch break.
Where to go
Meet at the courtyard of the Stables Visitor Centre at 10am in the morning. To find us enter estate through the Hylands House entrance off Three Mile Hill/London Road, post code CM2 8WQ. Follow signs for parking and then walk to the Stables Centre.
Please call us if you have any special needs that you would like to discuss with us.
If you have any specific questions about the day please call Claudia on 07970 721384
- Heavy Horse Driving Experience£95£950£0